With Christmas coming up next week we can't think of anything better excuse then to sip on some of these mulled wined recipes below, we think we have selected the best to suit all tastes... Enjoy!
1: Traditional mulled wine
Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients: 2 clementines, 1 lemon, 1 lime, 200 g caster sugar, 6 whole cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, 3 fresh bay leaves, 1 whole nutmeg, for grating, 1 vanilla pod, halved lengthways, 2 star anise,2 bottles Chianti or other Italian red wine
- Peel large sections of peel from your clementines, lemon and lime using a speed peeler
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the clementine juice.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and about 10 to 12 gratings of nutmeg.
- Throw in your halved vanilla pod and stir in just enough red wine to cover the sugar.
- Let this simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine and then bring to the boil.
- Keep on a rolling boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until you've got a beautiful thick syrup.
- When your syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add your star anise and the rest of the wine.
- Gently heat the wine and after around 5 minutes, when it's warm and delicious, ladle it into glasses and serve.
2: Non alcohol mulled apple juice
Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients: 1l apple juice, strips of orange peel, 1 cinnamon stick, plus extra to garnish, if you like, 3 cloves, sugar or honey, to taste
- Simmer the apple juice with the strips of orange peel, cinnamon stick and cloves for about 5-10 mins until all the flavours have infused.
- Sweeten to taste.
- Serve each drink with a little orange peel and a piece of cinnamon stick, if you like.
3: Mulled wine hot chocolate
Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients: 400 g olden caster sugar, 200 g cocoa powder, 2 cinnamon sticks, 5 star anise, 8 cloves,500 g 67% dark chocolate (try some from the Dominican Republic), broken into pieces,2 clementines or satsumas, skin left on, halved, 1 sprig of rosemary,1 bottle of fruity red wine
- Put 500 millilitres of water, the sugar, the cocoa powder and all the spices in a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and whisk well until the chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Add the clementines and rosemary and allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Add the red wine and warm through gently.
- Serve warm rather than hot.Adventures in Chocolate